Wednesday, January 26, 2005

17" of LCD goodness...

At 2:10pm 01/26/05, my Dell UltraSharp 1704FPV arrived.

Admittedly the box isn't as awe-inspiring as an Apple box, it was still
a welcome sight. I immediaty set out unpacking.



The package includes:

1 VGA cable (blue)
1 DVI cable (white)
1 USB 2.0 Hi-Speed cable
1 Power cable
1 Dell configuration CD



The base/stand came as a seperate piece, with a VESA mount.


Though it looks light weight, it is VERY sturdy. The base probably accounts for
80% of the total 18.1 pound weight of the package. The base is also height
adjustable with tilt and swivel points.



The LCD itself clicked in nicely. As you can see, the native resolution is 1280x1024.



My roomate brought his 15" Gateway LCD in to compare sizes. He commented that the height adjustment will come in handy. He has to resort to chair adjustment to get within eye level of his monitor.



After some fine tuning, I was able to get the monitor up and running. The setup is still changing, but my keyboard, mouse, speakers and monitor finally match.



A closer view of the LCD.

Pros:

Beatiful screen.
No dead pixels
4 Port USB2.0 Hub integrated
Height, Swivel and Tilt points (pics to come later)

Cons:

Heavier than most LCDs (to help with one handel Swivel adjustments)

Note: Since I installed the LCD, I'm not able to watch DVDs. It seems like my video card cannot keep up with the movie. I'm not sure if it's because the LCD is so much bigger that it has to work harder, or its not installed quite right.

Update: I've since resolved the issue. After a quick reformat, the performance is great. DVDs look glorious on this screen.

No comments: