Monday, March 14, 2005

iPod Scare

The prospect of turning a $399 iPod into a very stylish $399 paperweight can be difficult to get through. Last night I remembered that a new software update was available for my iPod (a 3G 15gb model) that would enable some features that were release for the 4G and later models. This update was straight from Apple. I downloaded it here. After the update, the software informed that the iPod would reset. I was multitasking at the time, so I actually didn't notice that something had happened for a while.

After I remembered I tried to get the iPod to respond. The screen was completely blank and no responce from pressing any of the buttons. I listened very carefully and whenever I pressed a button I heard a small screeching sound, which I assume is the HD spinning up. This indicated that atleast the buttons were still sensing input. I held down menu+play to do a soft reset. After about 30 seconds the iPod rebooted. After that I asked me to plug it into my computer and it finished the update.

Just a warning to my fellow iPod people. Be careful with the 2005-02-22 iPod update. BTW, the update adds the "shuffle songs" item to the main menu, and changes the charging icon.

No comments: