Wednesday, April 20, 2005

MSI Radeon 9550 128MB 128-bit

The Radeon arrived today, 2 days ahead of schedule. Compulsory pictures are included. The card arrived at 2:30pm 4/20/05. I beat the FedEx guy home by about 5 mins. I think he was in front of me on the way home, but he had to stop at the UV.



The package itself was very light (only 2 lbs). The retail box itself was packed within.



A picture of the retail box itself, quite tiny.



The back.



The internals. It came with the bare essentials. Card, booklet, drivers.



A picture of the card itself. Notice the MSI heatsink.



A closer view. Excuse the paper towel I used to clean the case before hand.



A picture of both cards installed. I actually had some trouble getting the card installed. It turns out that NVIDIA and ATI do not co-exist very well, atleast their drivers don't. I had to uninstall the NVIDIA drivers before the ATI card could output a signal. Thank goodness my LCD has dual inputs (VGA adn DVI), so I was able to switch between without trading cables.



For comparison, a picture of my Geforce4 MX440SE PCI video card. It has been a loyal work horse for many years. It's time it was retired. From now on it will re-join my 733mhz Dell at home, this should help my mom play her games a little better. The Dell integrated graphics are not cutting it.



A few preliminary tests with Cinebench and 3DMark2001 indicate that the 9550 is performing at rougly twice the level of the GF4. 3DMark2001 scores are in the high 6000s. I have been putting the card through it's paces and it seem to play Homeworld 2 @ 1280x960 with all the graphics turned up, quite well. Later I hope to overclock the card to 9600 or even 9600Pro speeds.

No comments: