Saturday, October 01, 2005

64-bit Action.

I bit the bullet about 2 weeks ago. I did a major upgrade to my desktop. I purchased a:


Athlon64 3000+ Socket 939 "Venice" Processor


Epox 9NDA3J Motherboard

Total from Newegg: $230 after tax and shipping.

That along with 512 borrowed from Rachelle has given me a very nice desktop to work with. (I recently bought another 512, so that I can return Rachelle's 512 to her next time I'm home).

Pictures of course:



The two boxes, right out of the FedEx packaging.



The contents of the motherboard package.



The motherboard itself. Note that there are a total of 4 DIMM slots, as opposed to the normal 2 or 3 DIMM slots of budget boards. The reason this is worth noting is that when I upgrade ram, i'll be able to merely ADD ram, than having to replace it. Also the board supports Dual-Channel.



The picture of the processor itself. The stock Heatsink/Fan is EXTREMELY Quiet. I love how I can barely hear the system going, and thats only if I don't have any music or anything else going on. Stock the processor runs at 1.8Ghz with a 200Mhz Bus(kinda). Equivalent performance is to a 3.0Ghz Pentium 4, for most tasks.

Stock the system ran a very cool 40C, under full folding load.

UPDATE: I overclocked the system. Its now running at 2.43Ghz with an 270Mhz Bus(kinda). Thats about a 30% overclock. To translate into easier to appreciate terms. I'm getting the equivalent speed to a 3.5-3.7Ghz P4 or a 3500-3700+ Athlon.



The processor is running at a still cool 44C, again, under full load. What used to take 1.5 Hours/frame to fold, now takes roughly 23mins/frame.

No comments: