Thursday, January 19, 2012

utserver and webmin

Found something interesting when trying to install webmin on the ubuntu server.
I recently installed utserver ( uTorrent Linux Alpha Server). Apparently, regardless of what port you specify it uses for the webui, it will also bind and use port 10000. This is a problem because webmin likes port 10000 and will not install if it is already taken.

From the utorrent support forums. The way around it is to shut down utserver ( thus freeing port 10000). Then install webmin. After that, re-run utserver. utServer will find that port 10000 is taken and then will choose a pre-defined alternate port.

The reasoning why utserver needs another port in the first place had something to do with device pairing. To be honest I didn't pay attention because it didn't involve anything I was doing.

3 comments:

jqt51 said...

How do you shut down utserver ? I want to shut it down if necessary without rebooting. I'm running Ubuntu 10.04.4.

It should be through the terminal with the appropriate command.

Any suggestion ?

Jaja... said...

Just change the port for webmin. Go to /etc/webmin/miniserv.conf and you'll find the port setting there. Change it to something sensible, like 81 or 8888. No problems after that.

Unknown said...

I know this is a 3 year old post, but I came across it when looking for a solution for this exact same problem.

I tried making changes to upstart scripts and/or writing my own without any luck. In the end I got what I wanted (booting webmin first to occupy port 10000 and utserver after to learn that port 10000 is taken and choose another port).

Webmin - System - Bootup and Shutdown - Module Config

Tick "Yes" to "Allow selection of individual runlevels?".

Webmin - System - Bootup and Shutdown - webmin

In your default runlevel (cursive print), change the value of 99 to e.g. 79.

Reboot.