Monday, November 09, 2015

[HOWTO] Install Kodi on Raspbian on a RP2

After my HTPC (valkyrie) died from a tiny fall, I've been using a Fire Stick as my Kodi player in the living room. While a nice bit of kit, its not without its disadvantages. Its most definitely a temporary solution.

I'm trying to fix Valkyrie, but that's proving annoying and time consuming. I needed a more permanent solution, in case I don't get it fixed. My first plan was to use a Mac Mini. In fact I recently bought a used Core Duo Mac Mini circa 2007. Unfortunately again, its not due to arrive for another few days, and I'm a very impatient guy.

I then remembered that the Raspberry Pi 2 makes an excellent Kodi player Better yet, its already running 24/7 monitoring my humidor, a task that doesn't even begin to task its 4 cores. So I decided to install Kodi, on Raspbian.

Why not use Openelec or some other Kodi-centric distribution? Simply because I already had the humidor setup running on raspbian and didn't feel like redoing it. 

First to get my up-to-now-headless Raspberry Pi 2 ready, I had to get its HDMI output running correctly.

  • Fix Flashing Menu Bar:

    • Add your used to the video and audio group 
    sudo usermod -aG audio myUser
    sudo usermod -aG video myUser






  • Fix Resolution on HDMI

      • Find the correct resolution:
        • tvservice -d edid 
        • edidparser edid
      • Set bootargs to boot that resolution
        • sudo emacs /boot/config
        •  hdmi_group=1
        • hdmi_mode=16
    • Install Kodi
      • Follow instructions from: http://michael.gorven.za.net



    No comments: