Saturday, November 06, 2004

Palm V back on!



For about 4-5 months my Palm V has been out of commission. It's been plagued with a few maladies, the biggest two were the battery life (dying) and the skewed digitizer (the thing that figures out where i'm tapping on the screen). The former problem actually sorted itself out. When I moved out of GrandMarc, I basically threw the palm into a box and forgot it for till a few days ago. Before hand I had kept it in the cradle, charging. Well to my suprise, about a month ago, as I'm digging through some boxes for some screws, I happen upon the Palm and lo and behold it still had power! I find the screws and stick the palm back in the box. A few days ago I get it in my head to set the palm up (just to charge the poor thing). After about an hour of searching I find all the components (adaptor, cradle, keyboard and the palm itself). I try to turn it on... and nothing. I guess the battery had just given up the ghost. On a whim I leave it plugged in for a few days. Later on I try the power button and soft reset a few times, success! It comes to life. I quickly hook the cradle up to the PC and sync, to save the datebook and contacts.

Feeling pretty good about myself, I actually try to use the palm... the digitizer problem pulls me back down to earth. Hnmm... the the digitizer is so screwed up that I can't get to the recalibration screen. No problem, a hard reset should get me there, and since I just synced up, I can restore all my data. I try it, digitizer is calibrated. All seems fine. I sync up, an the problem comes back. Back to the drawing board.

The next day a quick google turns up that it's actually a common problem. Of the two proposed solutions, redigi works for me. It can be found here. So now the palm seems to be working fine. I'm not quite sure about the battery life, i'll have to take it around and actually use it to test that. But it's nice to have an old friend back from the brink of death =).

No comments: