Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Tanking Burnout

I've recently stopped tanking on Hotplate. My recent lack of
time/inclination has drawn me more towards healing/DPS. Tanking has
just proven too stressful.

When you're the tank, responsibility for the group falls squarely on
your shoulders. If you slip up, tis almost a guranteed wipe. An
amazing healer can't do too much if the baddie runs over and wants to
say Hi.

Tanking honestly just took more effort, responsibility, and brainpower
than I was willing to put in for a 15-20 minute run for emblems. If
the environment were different ( say a guild raid, or even a run with
multiple guildies) I would be more than willing to tank. Even now I
will still occationally tank, but I prefer to DPS.

The wait times for DPS, while much longer than Tanks, isn't that
bad. I queue up for the dungeon finder as soon as I log on, then I'll
go to the Auction house, browse a bit and send things I find to my
other alts. If I have time, and the am on the correct alt, I'll start
to do a daily or two. By then the dungeon finder will pop and I'll be
good to go.

While trying to DPS on my DK, I came to the sad realization that my T9
tanking gear was still better for DPS, than my dedicated DPS set. This
creates a weird situation where I DPS in tanking gear ( looking like a
complete scrub), and get matched to higher-level heroics based on my
Tanking gear. I've been thoroughly stomped on the meters, with my
paltry 1.5-2k DPS vs some 4k-5k DPS, DPS.

No comments: