Thursday, August 16, 2012

First Group + Night Ride

Got out on the SV650 again last friday. I wasn't doing great at first, was shifting badly, and stalling out like crazy. Even had a panic stop in for good measure. A friend came over with his Victory and we rode around together. I showed him the little loop I've been doing, and we stopped at the park I've stopped at before. He tried out the SV and gave me some tips on things he noticed I was doing, and little quirks of the bike that he found.

Tips

  • More Gas: Specifically, more, smoother, gas. He noticed I wasn't actually giving it continuous gas from the start. I'd give it some gas, let off, then give it even more. That little blip is enough to bog the engine down. I should just give it gas, and keep that gas on as I let the clutch out. I tried that a few times and it's worked better.
  • Look Up: I've been looking down more, and trying to look when I'm trying to stop and brake. He said that will unbalance me and just look up. If I stop short or a bit far, its no big deal.
We headed out after the loop and went to get something to eat. We went through a side street, and crossed the main street. He stayed behind me until the cross street ( so I had plenty of time at the light in case I stalled). Once we passed that he got in front because I didn't know where we were going. 

Following someone is a new experience for me. I had to figure out how far away to keep him. For a bit I was target-fixated and kept steering towards his bike. It was nice following someone because I didn't have to worry too much about how fast/slow I was going for the road. I just matched his speed, and kept a cushion. We also hit quite a few green lights, so it was one of the longer stretches of uninterrupted riding I've done. 

We headed to Ogge's Pizza and had some dinner there. By the time we were done eating it was dark, so it was my first night ride. I still had my tinted visor, so I had to keep that up, but other than that, night riding is fun. There's less cars, its cooler, and seems peaceful. When I'm more experienced I'll definitely have to do it again. 



My first time parking somewhere for real =). 


No comments: