Monday, August 20, 2012

First Impression: Bilt Air Demon Hybrid Mesh/Leather Motorcycle Jacket

Its on sale from Cycle Gear for $129.

I noticed it while browsing the Cycle Gear website. Bilt is apparently the in house brand for Cycle Gear. Explains why I don't see it sold anywhere else. At $129, its a good value. Most comparable leather/mesh hybrids start closer to 180-200. Full mesh is better in the heat, but doesn't provide as much abrasion protection. I even like the look of the jacket.

  • Fit: Its a "sport" fit jacket. I recently found out this means its TIGHT. I've never had to wear anything this tight short of a rash guard. I got the size 42. Last time I got measured for a jacket, it was a 44. I had the guy at Cycle Gear help me with fit and he said the 42 fit me better. I tried on the 44, and yes i was more comfortable, but I could see it being loose enough that it would start to flap at higher speeds.  
  • Looks: The looks was one of the first things that drew me to the jacket. I wanted something that I wouldn't mind wearing, even while not riding ( or more likely, wearing when I got to wherever I was going). The jacket wouldn't be mistaken for anything other than a motorcycle jacket, but it doesn't have crazy patches or anything like that. It looks like a basic jacket, that wouldn't look out of place on a sportbike, standard or cruiser. 
  • Protection: Obviously being leather/mesh hybrid, this would have better abrasion protection than the full mesh jacket I was using before. The jacket looks pretty hefty, we'll see how well it performs. 
  • Heat: This is my biggest concern, next to fit. With the leather, its going to be much warmer riding around in this jacket. Again, I won't know until I try riding with it on, but we'll see how it goes. There's a lot of potential air flow, so I think if I can keep the bike moving, I should be ok. 
The jacket also has a 5-year warranty, so that should help with anything that goes wrong with it. I noticed some of the stitching was already coming loose, but with the warranty I didn't sweat it as much. 


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Did you end up liking this jacket?

Ron said...

Yes I did. I haven't worn it in a while but I think its a great starter jacket.

Having said that, after using some nicer ( and more expensive ) jackets, you can definitely tell why those jackets cost so much more.

Unknown said...

Any particular model that you recommend? I am still searching for a proper leather one after my last mesh jacket shred to pieces.

Ron said...

You really can't go wrong with the nice brands. I tried a friend's Dainese and it was awesome. I've heard great things about Alpine Stars ( I use their boots). Yes they're much much more, but you're not just paying for the name.