Sunday, August 19, 2012

SV650s vs SV650N

Cousin came over today, he brought along their SV650. Their SV650 is the same year as mine, 2002, but it's the S version, which means full fairings, lower bars ( clip-ons), and slightly different gearing. I never really thought about just how different the two models would "feel". I knew that the fairings drastically changed the looks, but other than that, I always figured they'd feel the same. Apparently I was mistaken.

Notable Differences:

  • Lower: As soon as he got on my SV650, he commented on how much higher it was. I sat on his SV650 ( I didn't feel comfortable enough in my riding ability to take it out for a ride), and confirmed that his was at least an inch or two shorter than mine. 
  • Handlebars: The "S" model has clip-ons, whereas mine are the higher handlebars. Again, I didn't think this would affect the bike so much, but having the clip-ons changes how much you lean quite a bit. The "S" version lends itself to a much more sportbike stance, whereas mine is a more upright, standard position. 
  • Throttle/Acceleration: He commented that mine had a more sudden acceleration. Whereas his was a linear progression, mine would start slow and build slow until a certain rev range. Then once it hits that rev range then the bike takes on a different profile and the amount of power increases drastically. We're not sure if this is because of the exhaust, or because the carbs/plugs need servicing. 
  • Exhaust sound: I don't think this was particularly influenced by one being the S and the other being the N model. Because my exhaust was a modified aftermarket exhaust, the note was quite a bit different between the two bikes. Mine is a deeper rumble, while his is a higher pitched whine. This plus the backfiring issue, makes my bike sound even more like a cruiser than a sportbike. 
  • Feel: The overall feel of the two bikes are very different. His is much closer to the sportbike side of things. The sitting position is crunched down, the exhaust whine is higher, and the full fairings really give it a sportbike look and feel. Mine has a higher seating position, the bike itself is taller, the exhaust has a deeper rumble and backfires. This is much closer to the "cruiser" side of things. 
I'm hoping once I get the carbs cleaned and the plugs replaced, that will eliminate some of the backfires and straighten out the throttle response. A more linear response would help with my stalling issues. I like the IDEA of a more crouched position, for aerodynamics, and looks, but I can see my back hating it quickly. I really just need to get more used to my bike.

No comments: