Monday, August 27, 2012

Fudruckers



Went for my longest ride yet on Friday. Took the day off, and decided that I would be riding to Mira Mesa ( a very busy, 3 lane each way street). Its one of the main streets I'd need to get to if I want to ride to work. Original plan was to head out around 10:30, and just ride for a while, taking breaks, and then meet up with some people for lunch.

Plans changed a bit and it ended up where my riding buddy was in the area, so we met up and headed out to Fudruckers together. It made it easier traveling in a group, you could ask questions and was easier to be seen. We headed out about 11:15 and made it to Fudruckers about 11:55. Not too bad, considering by car, in a bit of traffic thats normally a 30-35 minute drive.

The day was very overcast, so it kept me nice and cool. I decided not to bring a backpack since I wasn't going to be riding as long as I thought I would be. Plus I didn't bother wearing the tinted visor because it was so overcast.

The ride itself wasn't too bad. The two parts I was most worried about, weren't bad at all. Black Mountain Rd, which is a big hill and can get to 50mph had a decent amount of traffic, so the fastest I got was about 45mph. The trip back was equally uneventful. I did stall getting out of the parking lot, surprisingly NOT from a standing start.

I went to get gas at a Mobil station and the bike wouldn't start cleanly after the fill-up. I could get it to start with a bit of throttle while starting, but its never had that issue before. This was before I dumped the rest of the carb cleaner into the tank after I got back home. I'm hoping that will help with clearing up whatever is gumming up the engine.

Update: Started it up again on Sunday and it fired right up. It did stall after a few seconds because the idle went too low. A bit of choke and it kept up and warmed up. I'm not super concerned about it because its stalled on its own before. It looks like adding the gas must have stirred up the tank and gotten some stuff into the fuel filter, or something like that. 

Update 2: Checked the oil level and it looks completely empty in the window. Will have to pick up some oil and top it off before riding it again. 

No comments: